Report or verify a scam
Scams are intended to trick you into giving out your personal information or paying money.
If you are suspicious about an interaction you have had with someone using AMSA's name or details you can call us to verify if the claims are legitimate. Phone us on 1800 627 484 Monday to Friday between 8 am to 5 pm.
From time to time we may contact you—but you should be wary of unexpected contact claiming to be from us and asking for personal or financial information.
Report scams to the authorities
We encourage you to report scams to Scamwatch at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
This helps them to warn people about current scams, monitor trends, and disrupt scams where possible. You will need to include details of the scam contact you received, for example, an email or screenshot.
Scamwatch also provides guidance on where to get help.
Ways scammers may contact you
Common ways that scammers may try to contact you include emails, telephone calls and text messages, or through websites and social media.
- sending copycat emails with attachments or links that:
- take you to fake login screens or web pages to trick you into downloading malicious software or giving them your personal information
- contain programs that record your computer key strokes to get your personal information or login credentials
- using false phone numbers that appear to come from inside Australia to make and receive phone calls and text messages
- sending pre-recorded voice messages to people asking for an immediate call back
Websites and social media scams
- sending ransomware (malicious software) that stops your computer working until you pay a fee
- spoofing websites or login pages to get your personal information
- accessing your public profile on social media to learn about you so they can meet proof of record ownership or break your passwords
- posting or sending job advertisements which ask you to provide personal or financial details up-front. They could be in the form of emails, on noticeboards, and on social media and job recruitment websites.