AMSA's website will undergo maintenance from 9:30am - 11am on Thursday 30 May. During this period, search functionality may be unavailable for 1 - 2 minutes. 

We apologise for any inconvenience

Endorsements and restrictions

Endorsements and restrictions

You may apply for the following endorsements on your certificate:

  • endorsement as chief engineer on vessels with steam propulsion less than 750 kilowatts

Endorsement as chief engineer on vessels with steam propulsion less than 750 kilowatts in the EEZ

What do I need to do?

To obtain this endorsement, you will need to:

1. Meet medical and eyesight requirements

You must complete a declaration of medical fitness on the Certificate of competency application form 426. This lets us know that you are still medically fit, and that your eyesight meets the necessary standard, to work at sea.

2. Provide evidence of sea service

You will need to show 100 hours of sea service:

  • on vessels with steam propulsion power up to 750 kilowatts
  • while performing duties as an assistant to an engineer or engine driver, or as a general purpose hand.

You will also need to complete an AMSA steam task book.

Attach a copy of the seafarer details page from your task book to your application.

Submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:

  • Record of sea service form 771
  • the on board sea service record from your task book
  • a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
  • an approved sea service log book

Read more about qualifying sea service.

Get a task book

To get a steam task book contact us.

3. Meet additional requirements

You must also hold:

  • a valid HLTAID011 Provide first aid certificate, or equivalent.
  • hold a high risk work licence for standard boiler operation issued by a State or Territory authority responsible for work health and safety legislation.
4. Provide existing certificates

Submit a copy of your existing Marine engine driver grade 3 certificate.

5. Complete and submit a certificate of competency application

To apply, complete and submit the Certificate of competency application form 426.

Read more about completing and submitting your application for a domestic certificate.

6. Pass a final assessment

You need to pass a final assessment before getting your certificate of competency. Once we have assessed your application, you will be invited to contact AMSA Connect to book your final assessment. We will take payment of the examination fee and confirm your booking.

Refer to the syllabus document and the examiner checklist to find out what may be included in your final assessment.

When you pass the final assessment, you will be given an interim certificate of competency so that you can start working immediately. If you do not pass the final assessment, you will be able to try again. Your assessor will advise you when you can book your resit. You will have to pay the fee each time you sit for the final assessment.

7. Related information

If you would like to find out more about endorsements, refer to the National Regulator Endorsements Approval 2014.