Identity declaration for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person
This form should be used only if you are genuinely unable to provide suitable evidence of identity documentation because your birth has not been registered, and
- you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, or
- you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and are accepted as such by the community in which you live or formerly lived.
Read more about proof of identity.
How to complete this form
You must sign the form in the presence of one of the verifying persons.
The verifying persons’ declaration on this form must be completed by two people from the following list:
- Community Justice Group Chairperson, Vice Chairperson or Coordinator
- Community Council Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson
- Community Councillor
- Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations.
If you use this form, your application may take longer to process as at least one of the verifying persons must be contacted.
Submitting the form
This form must be presented with your application at a participating Australia Post office. Australia Post will check the details against your application form.
This declaration will be refused if the verifying person cannot be contacted during business hours.