The National Plan Strategic Coordination Committee (NPSCC) is responsible for the strategic coordination of the National Plan for Maritime Environmental Emergencies (the National Plan).
The PNSCC sets the broad policy direction of the national plan, oversees its implementation and reviews its effectiveness. The NPSCC is comprised of senior commonwealth, state and Northern Territory Government officials and it is accountable to governments through the Transport and Infrastructure Council, under the Council of Australian Government arrangements.
The Australian Government National Plan Committee coordinates Australian Government arrangements under the National Plan.
Engagement with industry sectors (shipping, offshore production, oil, chemicals, ports, salvage and fire authorities) is achieved through an independent industry advisory committee known as the National Plan Strategic Industry Advisory Forum.
Technical advice to support decision making is sought from technical groups established to address prevention, preparedness and response, and recovery.
Each jurisdiction will appoint one member to the NPSCC. To ensure an effective decision making capability the member should be a senior government official. The chair of the National Plan Strategic Industry Advisory Forum is a member of the NPSCC.
- Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (to ensure effective integration of the national plan with the regulatory arrangements for the offshore petroleum industry)
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
- Maritime New Zealand.
The function of the NPSCC is to:
- set the broad policy directions for the National Plan
- agree an implementation plan for the outcomes of the National Plan review and oversight the delivery of the implementation plan
- develop and coordinate national marine pollution prevention, recovery, preparedness and response standards
- ensure effective integration of the national plan into broader emergency management
- through the National Plan Strategic Industry Advisory Forum obtain advice on the operation of the National Plan
- ensure the most effective strategies and technologies are being employed by the National Plan
- develop public education and information strategies for the National Plan
- reporting to the Australian Government through the Council on Transport and Infrastructure Council (the council), under the Council of Australian Governments’ arrangements.
The NPSCC will meet twice per year to enable effective reporting to the council.
Where possible, meetings will be held back to back with meetings of the National Plan Strategic Industry Advisory Forum.