Consultation—Marine order 27—Safety of navigation and radio equipment
The consultation is open until Wednesday 2 October 2019.
Marine order 27 provides information about the following:
- radio equipment and communications
- navigation safety measures and equipment
- danger, urgency and distress signals and messages.
The proposed new Marine order 27 (Safety of navigation and radio equipment) will amend the existing marine order to allow other approved operators to provide mobile satellite services within the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).
Proposed changes include:
- Replacing references to Inmarsat, where practical, with ‘recognised mobile satellite service’. This change gives effect to IMO resolution MSC.436(99).
- Schedule 2 will include amending IMO resolutions.
- Minor corrections to GMDSS frequencies at Schedule 4.
It is proposed that this amended order will come into effect on 1 January 2020.
How to have your say
Have your say in writing using our public comment form. If using this form, then you can either:
- email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- post the form to:
Business Support, Standards
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181
Canberra ACT 2601