International certificates of competency for domestic use

If you hold a valid Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) certificate, you can use this to operate on a domestic commercial vessel (DCV). You don't need to hold a near coastal certificate of competency.

There are conditions that must be met: 

  • Your STCW certificate must have been issued by AMSA and must not have expired.
  • If you hold an AMSA certificate of recognition, your near coastal certificate will only allow you to perform the duties and tasks permitted by your primary certificate of competency.

Working with your STCW certificate

If you hold any of STCW certificates listed below, you can work in the equivalent near coastal role using that certificate.

Seafarer certificateCorresponding near coastal certificate
Rating (including navigational or engine room watch, able seafarer deck or engine, and integrated rating) General purpose hand NC 
Watchkeeper deck (including <500 GT and <500 GT with <3000 GT NC endorsement) Master <24m NC 
Mate <500 GT (including Mate <500 GT with Chief Mate <3000 GT NC endorsement) Master <45m NC
Chief Mate (including Chief Mate <3000 GT) Master <24m NC
Chief Mate with Master <500 GT endorsement (includes Chief Mate <3000 GT with Master <500 GT and Chief Mate <3000 GT NC endorsement and Chief Mate with Master <500 GT and Chief Mate <3000 GT endorsement) Master <100m NC 
Master <500 GT Master <100m NC
Master Master <100m NC
Yacht certificates (including Watchkeeper deck all tonnage, Chief Mate all tonnage, Master all tonnage) Coxswain grade 1 NC
Electro-technical officer Marine engine driver grade 2 NC
Engineer watchkeeper Marine engine driver grade 1 NC
Engineer watchkeeper with second engineer <3000 kW endorsement Engineer class 3 NC
Engineer class 2 Engineer class 3 NC
Engineer class 1 Engineer class 3 NC 

Apply for an equivalent certificate 

If you want to hold a near coastal certificate, you can apply for an equivalent certificate based on Schedule 2 of Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency – national law) 2022.

Attach copies of your STCW certificate of medical fitness and sea service letters to meet the requirements for that certificate.

If your STCW certificate is expired

You can: 

  • revalidate your STCW certificate then apply for an equivalent near coastal certificate or
  • apply for a new near coastal certificate. 

If you choose to apply for a new near coastal certificate you will need to meet the eligibility requirements for that certificate. 

You may need to apply to a registered training organisation for recognition of prior learning and be issued with a course completion certificate relevant to the near coastal certificate of competency. 

You will also need to pass a final assessment for that certificate which will be either an AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) or an oral exam, depending on the certificate.

Please apply for your equivalent certificate using the AMSA 426 application form

Last updated: 21 March 2024