Sea service letter for international seafarers
Details in each letter must include:
- Position held aboard, duties performed and dates signed on and off each ship.
- Name of ship.
- IMO number
- Vessel specific information (see below)
Vessel specific information
Include the following:
- For deck officer and deck rating applications provide the vessel’s gross tonnage.
- For engineer officer and engine room rating applications, provide the total propulsion power in kilowatts.
- For engineer officer applications provide the propulsion type (motor, steam or other (specify)).
- Ship type:
- Oil tanker (OT)
- Gas carrier (GC)
- Chemical tanker (CT)
- Offshore service vessel (OSV)
- Mobile offshore drilling unit or floating petroleum storage offtake (MODU)
- Special purpose ship (including Royal Australian Navy ships) (SPS)
- High speed passenger craft (HSPC)
- High speed cargo craft (HSCC)
- Fishing vessels (FV)
- Other type of ship (other)
- Continued competence in sea survival and firefighting and/or fast rescue boat (for revalidation only for master, deck and engineer officers and ratings).
- For deck officers only: that the ship was fitted with a full GMDSS station and that the applicant operated it on a regular basis.
- For engineer officers: copies of sea service testimonials (for initial issue only).
Note: Sea-time letters obtained from ships will not be accepted.