Handling and transport of cargoes and dangerous goods is governed by agreed international minimum requirements provided by the International Maritime Organization (IMO).
We implement the IMO agreed international minimum requirements in Australia for all safety related aspects of the handling and transport of cargoes and dangerous goods.
IMSBC Code 2016 Edition (including 03-15 amendments)
The individual schedule for iron ore in the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code (IMSBC code) incorporating amendment 03-15 and supplement 2016 edition was not the amended version. The IMO has issued an erratum. The errata includes the correct individual iron ore schedule, as amended by the 03-15 amendments.
If you have a hard copy of the IMSBC code this should be printed out and inserted into your copy. If you purchased the e-reader file, you can access the erratum using the internet update or check for content update function on the IMO bookshelf.
The IMSBC code and erratum remain the responsibility of the IMO. If you have any further questions about this errata for the version of the IMSBC code you may have, you should contact the IMO or the IMO authorised seller you purchased your copy from.
SOLAS amendments relating to verified gross mass of containers
Revisions to the SOLAS convention came into effect from 1 July 2016, making the shipper responsible for verifying the gross mass of a container and stating this verified gross mass on the maritime shipping documents.
The shipper can use either:
- Method 1—Weighing the fully laden (packed) container
- Method 2—Weighing the cargo, and adding the weight of the empty container (tare).
For either method weighing equipment used must meet standards of accuracy prescribed in the applicable legislation.
From 1 July 2016 all containers being shipped from Australia must have a declared verified gross mass on the maritime shipping documents.
Containers without a verified gross mass on the maritime shipping documents cannot be loaded.
- Guidelines regarding the verified gross mass of a container carrying cargo
- Marine Order 42 (Carriage, stowage and securing of cargoes and containers) 2016
- Courses for cargoes and dangerous goods
- Cargoes and dangerous goods electronic training
- Cargoes and dangerous goods non-electronic training
- Dangerous, hazardous and harmful cargoes handbook