Unpowered barges guidance notice
This notice is intended to provide general guidance on the risks associated with the operation of unpowered barges.
This notice is intended to provide general guidance on the risks associated with the operation of unpowered barges. It aims to assist owners and operators in safe and safety management obligations under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law 2012 (national law) and workplace health and safety requirements.
It does not replace any requirements of the national law or any other applicable legislation.
This guidance applies to unpowered barges used for operations including but not limited to:
- Carriage of deck cargo including:
- static cargo – building materials, garbage, wharfing piles
- wheeled or tracked vehicles
- contained liquid cargo
- Pile driving
- Lifting operations undertaken by:
- shearlegs / A frames
- winch and block assemblies.
- Read our related unpowered barges information.