Declared vessels operating up to 600 nautical miles from the Australian coast
On commencement of the Navigation Act 2012, on 1 July 2013, vessels that had been certified by State and Territory governments to operate to 600 nm from the Australian baseline had the option of seeking to be declared not a regulated Australian vessel (RAV), under section 19 of the Navigation Act 2012.
This applied to vessels that had State and Territory issued certificates, which permitted domestic operations beyond the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). These vessels are domestic commercial vessels DCVs) subject to the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012.
The policy for declared vessels only applies to vessels that held valid State or Territory certification permitting DCV operations beyond the EEZ prior to 1 July 2013. Specifically certification for operational area category A (Unlimited domestic operations), detailed in 3.4 of Part B of the National Standards for Commercial Vessels (NSCV).
A declaration will be revoked if:
- The vessel owner subsequently applies for a certificate for the vessel covered by section 15(1)(c)(ii) of the Navigation Act 2012;
- The vessel changes the nature of the operation detailed in the certificate of operation issued for the vessel under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessels) National Law Act 2012; or
- The vessel does not comply with the conditions of the declaration.
Conditions imposed on declarations:
- The vessel may operation up to 600 nm from the Australian baseline provided it complies with the requirements of the National Standard for Commercial Vessels for such operations.
- The vessel must not enter a port of another country, the territorial waters of another country or the EEZ of another country.
- When the certificate of survey identified in the declaration expires, a new certificate must be obtained in accordance with Marine Order 503 of the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessels) National Law Act 2012 for “extended offshore operations” within the limits identified in this declaration.
A list of vessels with section 19 declarations is provided. It is unlikely that other vessel will be added to this listing, however, if the owner of a vessel considers it is entitled to a declaration under section 19 of the Navigation Act 2012, the owner/operator must apply in writing to AMSA and provide a copy of the relevant certification issued by the relevant state or territory authority prior to 01 July 2013 and a copy of current valid certification.
Applications may be sent to:
The General Manager – Ship Safety Division
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181
Canberra City ACT 2601
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org