What is a large yacht?
A super yacht or white boat are colloquial terms for a large yacht.
A yacht is a vessel that:
- does not carry cargo
- does not carry > 12 passengers
- has a commercial use that is related to the provisions of a sport or pleasure activity.
A large yacht:
- is a yacht greater than or equal to 24m in length.
Yachts, including large yachts, may be used:
- privately by the sole operator, friends or family
- commercially hired for charter out to groups or individuals
- commercially for sport
- both private and commercial use.
Certain conventions may apply to yachts, including large yachts, whether they are being used privately or commercially.
The term ‘yacht' is implemented in Australia using Marine Order 52 (Yachts and training vessels) 2022.
Tuesday 20 December 2022