Navigation Act 2012
We have the authority and responsibility for operational activities of the Navigation Act 2012.
The Navigation Act
Under the Commonwealth Administrative Arrangements Order, the Navigation Act 2012 is administered by the Minister for and the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities.
The Navigation Act gives effect to international conventions for maritime issues where Australia is a signatory.
The Act covers:
- vessel survey and certification
- construction standards
- seafarers' qualifications and welfare
- occupational health and safety
- carriage and handling of cargoes
- marine pollution prevention
- monitoring and enforcement activities.
The Act allows delegated legislation called regulations and marine orders.
The Navigation Act provides the legislative power for Australia to implement the following treaties developed by the International Maritime Organization, the International Labour Organization and United Nations Conferences:
- International Convention for Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW)
- Maritime Labour Convention (MLC)
- International Convention on Load Lines (Load Lines)
- International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
- Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS)
- International Convention for Safe Containers (CSC)
- International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL)
- Convention of Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims
- International Convention on Salvage
- United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)—only certain parts.
Note: MARPOL requirements for the discharge of pollution are implemented by the Protection of the Sea (Prevention of Pollution From Ships) Act 1983.
- Index of marine orders
- How marine orders are created
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet: Parliamentary Information for the Administrative Arrangements Order
- Treaties to which Australia is a signatory are available on: