Exemption 25—Marine Safety (Old certificates of competency—local restrictions)
This exemption is for people who have an old certificate of competency and are not able to comply with a condition on that certificate.
You can apply for approval under Exemption 25 by completing and submitting the AMSA 758 to DCVapplications@amsa.gov.au. Please provide the following information:
- details of the condition(s) on your certificate of competency that you are seeking to be exempt from
- copy(ies) of your current certificate(s) of competency
What this exemption will allow you to do
Exemption 25 exempts a person from complying with a condition imposed on their old certificate of competency that restricts them to specific duties, or to an area of a state or the Northern Territory.
An old certificate of competency is a state or Northern Territory maritime safety authority certificate of competency that was issued:
- before 1 July 2013—for a certificate in force immediately before 1 July 2013
- before 1 January 2014—for a certificate applied for before 1 July 2013, but for which the application was not finally determined by 1 July 2013.
To be eligible for this exemption you must have received written approval from AMSA for the duties to be performed without the condition.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency—national law)
- National Standard for Commercial Vessels
- Marine Order 504 (Certificates of operation and operation requirements—national law)
- Miscellaneous form (for matters not covered by other forms) form 758
- Domestic qualifications
- Certificates of operation
- Fees, levies, and payments
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels
- Exemption 25 – In force 1 February 2018 (PDF 281.13 KB)
- Exemption 25 – In force on 1 August 2016 (PDF 47.29 KB)
- Exemption 25 - In force 5 August 2013 (PDF 47.98 KB)
27 February 2023