Our payment system and some of our forms will be unavailable between 7.30 pm and 11 pm on Monday 20th May for maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

New certificate

New certificate

What do I need to do?

To get this certificate, you need to:

[collapsed class="numbered"]

Provide proof of medical fitness

Prior to the initial issue of a certificate of competency and Certificate of recognition you must obtain a Certificate of medical fitness in Australia.

The medical examination can be organised by contacting Sonic HealthPlus. We strongly recommend that you complete the medical examination before you commence training to ensure that you are medically fit for a seagoing career.

To book a medical examination, you can:

Read more about medical fitness.


[collapsed class="numbered"]

Complete training courses

You will need to complete a Chief integrated rating course from an AMSA approved college. This course must include:

  • Supervision training (supervision of personnel, personal communications, human relations, inter-personal relations and counselling, and leadership)
  • Vessel maintenance (theory of corrosion and cathodic protection, lubrication and lubricant storage and handling, cleaning materials and storage and handling of such materials, health hazards associated with maintenance procedures and use and care of personal safety equipment)
  • Storekeeping competencies (inventory control of stores and spare parts and costing).

You will need to complete a short course in advanced fire fighting.

This course must be completed with an approved training organisation.

All of the certificates and training you complete and provide evidence of must comply with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW).


[collapsed class="numbered"]

Provide evidence of sea service

You will need to provide evidence that you have completed at least 24 months sea service as a qualified integrated rating.

All submitted sea service must be documented qualifying sea service. Read more about sea service.


[collapsed class="numbered"]

How to apply

You will need to lodge a formal application using the Seafarer form 419 to be assessed towards the requirements for a Chief integrated rating certificate of proficiency.

Lodge from within Australia

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents and lodge it at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

You will need to pay the fees for your application at the post office at the time of lodgement.

Lodge from overseas

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents including a colour passport-style photograph and send the paperwork to us by email to STCW.applications@amsa.gov.au When we receive your email we will let you know how to pay the fee for your application via AMSA online portal.