AMSA's website will undergo maintenance from 9:30am - 11am on Thursday 30 May. During this period, search functionality may be unavailable for 1 - 2 minutes. 

We apologise for any inconvenience

New certificate

New certificate

What do I need to do?

To get this certificate, you need to:

Provide proof of medical fitness

Prior to the initial issue of a certificate of competency and Certificate of recognition you must obtain a Certificate of medical fitness in Australia. As per Marine Order 76 (Health—medical fitness) 2017 you can only perform the duties of a seafarer on a relevant vessel if you are medically fit to perform those duties.

The medical examination can be organised by contacting Sonic HealthPlus. We strongly recommend that you complete the medical examination before you commence training to ensure that you are medically fit for a seagoing career.

To book a medical examination, you can:

Read more about medical fitness.

Complete training courses

You will need to complete these courses:

  • Training course in cooking
  • Basic safety training which includes security awareness training.

All applications for a Marine cook certificate of proficiency as must include a course completion certificate plus a Statement of attainment.

These courses must be completed with an approved training organisation.

All of the certificates and training you complete and provide evidence of must comply with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW).

Provide proof of qualifications

You will need to hold one of the following approved course in cooking:

  • MAR30320 Certificate III in Maritime operations (Marine cookery)
  • SIT30821 Certificate III in Commercial cookery
  • Training considered equivalent by us.
Additional requirements

You will need to hold a valid Certificate of safety training.

How to apply

You will need to lodge a formal application using the Seafarer form 419 to be assessed towards the requirements for a Marine cook certificate of proficiency.

Lodge from within Australia

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents and lodge it at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

You will need to pay the fees for your application at the post office at the time of lodgement.

Lodge from overseas

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents including a colour passport-style photograph and send the paperwork to us by email to When we receive your email we will let you know how to pay the fee for your application via AMSA online portal.