AMSA's website will undergo maintenance from 9:30am - 11am on Thursday 30 May. During this period, search functionality may be unavailable for 1 - 2 minutes. 

We apologise for any inconvenience

New certificate

New certificate

What do I need to do?

To obtain this certificate, you need to:

Provide proof of medical fitness

Prior to the initial issue of a certificate of competency you must obtain a Certificate of medical fitness in Australia. As per Marine Order 76 (Health—medical fitness) 2017 you can only perform the duties of a seafarer on a relevant vessel if you are medically fit to perform those duties.

The medical examination can be organised by contacting Sonic HealthPlus. We strongly recommend that you complete the medical examination before you commence training to ensure that you are medically fit for a seagoing career.

To book a medical examination, you can:

Read more about medical fitness.

Complete training courses

You will need to complete these courses:

  • Master less than 500 gross tonnage, including modules in command navigation, shipmasters business and management, and vessel operations and administration.
  • Basic safety training, including security awareness training.
  • Advanced fire fighting.
  • Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats.
  • Medical care on board ship.

These courses must be completed with an approved training organisation.

All the certificates and training you complete and provide evidence of must comply with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW).

Provide evidence of sea service

You will need to have completed 24 months sea service as an officer in charge of a navigation watch on vessels greater than or equal to 12 metres on voyages of at least 24 hours duration.

These hours must be completed outside sheltered waters while holding an unrestricted Master less than 24 metres near coastal certificate of competency.

This certificate of competency must be issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency – national law) 2022, or an equivalent qualification.

All of the sea service you submit must be documented qualifying sea service. Read more about sea service.

How to apply for sea service assessment

You will need to complete this sea service and then submit a Seafarer form 419 to us so we can assess your sea service and issue you with an AMSA assessment letter. This letter is the evidence you need to prove that you have met the sea service requirements for your qualification. This letter will also instruct you to complete your oral examination.

Pass an oral examination

As per your assessment letter, you will need to book and successfully pass an oral examination. Read more about booking an oral examination.

Additional requirements

You will need to hold one of the following valid certificates:

  • GMDSS radio operators certificate
  • GMDSS certificate of recognition

If you are serving on an ECDIS equipped ship, you will also need to hold an ECDIS endorsement.

How to apply

You will need to lodge a formal application using the Seafarer form 419 to be assessed towards the requirements for a Master less than 24 metres FG certificate of competency.

Lodge from within Australia

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents and lodge it at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

You will need to pay the fees for your application at the post office at the time of lodgement.

Lodge from overseas

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach certified copies of all required supporting documents including a colour passport-style photograph and send the paperwork to us by email to When we receive your email we will let you know how to pay the fee for your application via AMSA online portal.