Revalidate certificate

Revalidate certificate

What do I need to do?

To revalidate your certificate, you need to:

Provide proof of medical fitness

To revalidate your current certificate you will need an AMSA medical completed on form 303. If this form is completed outside Australia it must be completed in a country that holds an agreement with us

The medical examination can be organised by contacting Sonic HealthPlus. We strongly recommend that you complete the medical examination before you commence training to ensure that you are medically fit for a seagoing career.

To book a medical examination, you can:

Read more about medical fitness.

Provide evidence of sea service

You will need to provide evidence that you have completed sea service performing functions for your current certificate for either:

  • 12 months in total during the preceding 5 years before application
  • 3 months in total during the preceding 6 months prior to revalidating.
Complete training courses

All certificates and training must comply with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) and be with an organisation we have approved.

If you are revalidating your certificate and you are an overseas permanent resident, some STCW short courses may be completed in a country we have an agreement with.

If you are serving on an ECDIS equipped ship, you will need to hold an ECDIS endorsement.

With required sea service

If you already have the required sea service, you will need to:

  • Obtain a letter(s) from your employer(s) confirming:
    • sea service
    • your participation in the mandatory abandon ship and fire drills required by SOLAS
    • your participation in scheduled drills required by the on board Safety Management System (see sample template).
  • Keep the original of this letter and send us a copy with your application.
  • Complete continued competence training for the STCW short courses in Advanced firefighting and Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats in the previous 5 years.

These continued competence training courses are valid for up to 5 years.

It is a requirement of the STCW Code that seafarers, every five years, provide evidence of having maintained the required standards of competence in firefighting and sea survival at the appropriate level, as well as fast rescue boats. Currently AMSA considers this requirement as one of the criteria for issue or revalidation of an Australian seafarer certificate issued under the Navigation Act, as specified in the Marine Order 70 series. In the case of revalidation, this is considered every five years. An Australian seafarer certificate will not lapse or expire if, during the five year period of the certificate’s validity, STCW training has not been maintained by the seafarer. 

However, AMSA nonetheless strongly recommends seafarers maintain the currency of their STCW Code training over the life of their Australian seafarer certificate, as this is often enforced by foreign Administrations and companies operating foreign flagged vessels.This simply means that seafarers need to be conscious of the period that has elapsed since they last completed STCW Code training requirements and ensure they renew their training five years from this date, even if the five year period does not coincide with the renewal date of their Australian seafarer certificate. 

Without required sea service

If you do not have the required sea service, you will need to complete the full STCW short courses in:

  • Advanced firefighting
  • Survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats.

You will also need to complete one of the following options:

  • Complete an approved revalidation course for your certificate within 5 years before applying to revalidate your certificate.
  • Complete an oral examination.
  • Perform duties and functions that we consider at least equivalent to sea service.

Read more about approved training organisations and revalidating your current certificate.

Additional requirements

You will need to hold one of the following valid certificates:

  • GMDSS radio operators certificate
  • GMDSS certificate of recognition

If you are serving on an ECDIS equipped ship, you will also need to hold an ECDIS endorsement.

How to apply

You will need to lodge a formal application using the Seafarer form 419.

Lodging from within Australia

You will need to fill out Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents and lodge it at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

You will need to pay the fees for your application at the post office at the time of lodgement.

Lodging from overseas

You will need to fill out Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents including a colour passport-style photograph and send the paperwork to us by email to When we receive your email, we will let you know how to pay the fee for your application via AMSA online portal.