AMSA's website will undergo maintenance from 9:30am - 11am on Thursday 30 May. During this period, search functionality may be unavailable for 1 - 2 minutes. 

We apologise for any inconvenience

Revalidate certificate

Revalidate certificate

What do I need to do?

To revalidate your certificate, you need to:

Provide proof of medical fitness

You will need to provide evidence that you are medically fit to perform duties in the capacity of a Master less than 3000 gross tonnage (yachts). As per Marine Order 76 (Health—medical fitness) 2017 you can only perform the duties of a seafarer on a relevant vessel if you are medically fit to perform the duties.

To revalidate your current certificate you will need an AMSA medical completed on form 303. If this form is completed outside Australia it must be completed in a country that holds an agreement with us.

You can organise a medical examination by contacting Sonic HealthPlus.

To book a medical examination, you can:

  • Call toll free: 1300 763 822


Obtain a Certificate of medical fitness from overseas

We will accept a Certificate of medical fitness completed in a country we have an agreement with for revalidation purposes.

You will need to print the relevant medical paperwork and make an appointment with a medical examiner. The medical examiner must be approved by the administration of the country which has an agreement with us.

Read more about medical fitness.

Provide evidence of sea service

You will need to provide evidence that you have completed sea service performing functions for your current certificate for either:

  • At least 12 months in total during the preceding 5 years before application
  • 3 months in total during the preceding 6 months prior to revalidating.

All submitted sea service must be documented qualifying sea service.

Read more about sea service.

Complete training courses

All certificates and training must comply with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) and be with an organisation we have approved.

If you are revalidating your certificate and you are an overseas permanent resident, some STCW short courses may be completed in a country we have an agreement with..

With required sea service

If you already have the required sea service, you will need to:

  • Obtain a letter(s) from your employer(s) confirming:
    • sea service
    • your participation in the mandatory abandon ship and fire drills required by SOLAS
    • your participation in scheduled drills required by the on board safety management system (see sample template letter).
  • Keep the original of this letter and send us a copy with your application.
  • Complete continued competence refresher training for the STCW short courses in Advanced fire fighting and Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats in the previous 5 years.

These continued competence training courses are valid for up to 5 years.

It is a requirement of the STCW Code that seafarers, every five years, provide evidence of having maintained the required standards of competence in fire fighting and sea survival at the appropriate level, as well as fast rescue boats. Currently AMSA considers this requirement as one of the criteria for issue or revalidation of an Australian seafarer certificate issued under the Navigation Act, as specified in the Marine Order 70 series. In the case of revalidation, this is considered every five years. An Australian seafarer certificate will not lapse or expire if, during the five year period of the certificate’s validity, STCW training has not been maintained by the seafarer. 

However, AMSA nonetheless strongly recommends seafarers maintain the currency of their STCW Code training over the life of their Australian seafarer certificate, as this is often enforced by foreign Administrations and companies operating foreign flagged vessels.This simply means that seafarers need to be conscious of the period that has elapsed since they last completed STCW Code training requirements and ensure they renew their training five years from this date, even if the five year period does not coincide with the renewal date of their Australian seafarer certificate. 

Without required sea service

If you do not have the required sea service, you will need to complete the full STCW short courses in:

  • Advanced fire fighting
  • Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats.

You will also need to complete one of the following options:

  • Complete an approved revalidation course for your certificate within 5 years before applying to revalidate your certificate.
  • Complete an oral examination.
  • Perform duties and functions that we consider at least equivalent to sea service.

Read more about approved training organisations and revalidating your current certificate.

Additional requirements

You will need to hold one of the following valid certificates:

  • GMDSS Radio operators certificate
  • GMDSS Certificate of recognition

If you are serving on an ECDIS equipped ship, you will also need to hold an ECDIS endorsement.

How to apply

You will need to lodge a formal application using the Seafarer form 419 to be assessed towards the requirements for a Master less than 3000 gross tonnage (yachts) certificate of competency.

Lodge from within Australia

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents and lodge it at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

You will need to pay the fees for your application at the post office at the time of lodgement.

Lodge from overseas

You will need to fill out the Seafarer form 419, attach all required supporting documents including a colour passport-style photograph and send the paperwork to us by email to When we receive your email we will let you know how to pay the fee for your application via AMSA online portal.