Certificate of recognition

How to get a certificate of recognition.

If you hold valid foreign seafarer qualifications under the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), and you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current Australian work visa you can apply for a certificate of recognition. A certificate of recognition allows you to work in Australia without having to complete some or all of the required courses because it recognises the skills you already have.

A certificate of recognition will be valid for the same period as the primary certificate.


To be eligible for a certificate of recognition you must come from an eligible country, and you must meet medical, sea service and course requirements. Read Country eligibility for Certificates of recognition.

Important disclaimer

These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 70 (Seafarer certification) 2014Marine Order 71 (Master and deck officers) 2014Marine Order 72 (Engineer officers) 2014Marine Order 73 (Ratings) 2014 and Marine Order 74 (Master and deck officers – yachts) 2015. Please refer to these marine orders for full details of eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.

What you need to do

To obtain this certificate, you need to:

How to revalidate a Certificate of recognition

To revalidate your certificate of recognition, you need to start by revalidating your primary certificate of competency. You must show us evidence that you have completed the same requirements as an Australian certificate of competency. You can then submit an application using Seafarer's form 419.

Last updated: 

Wednesday 25 January 2023