Revalidation of Rating certificates of proficiency

Get your Rating certificate of proficiency revalidated before it expires.

If you hold a Rating certificate of proficiency you should apply to us to revalidate your certificate before it expires, if it has not been suspended or revoked. Whether your certificate is valid, or has expired, the revalidation requirements are the same.

You must complete a sea service and course component to revalidate your certificate. Read more about how to revalidate your Rating certificate of proficiency:

Continued competence courses

Australia is a party to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW). Under this convention, we comply with the standards required in STCW A-1/11. These standards require all seafarers to demonstrate continued professional competence in safety of life at sea and security. Completion of these courses is commonly known as a demonstration of continued competence.

Medical course component

Under the standards in the STCW, there is no requirement for revalidation of first aid, medical first aid, and medical care certificates. You should undergo refresher courses every 5 years to allow you to maintain and increase your knowledge and skills to keep up-to-date with new developments. Refer to Maritime Labour Convention 2006 Regulation 4.1, Guideline B4.1 Medical care on board ship.

Revalidating from overseas

If you hold a Certificate of safety training and live overseas you can still revalidate your certificate. You must meet the sea service requirement, but we will accept refresher training conducted with an administration we have an agreement with. Read Country eligibility for Certificates of recognition.

You will need to meet a number of requirements before we can accept refresher courses you have completed overseas:

  • Be a resident overseas—permanently living in a country other than Australia.
  • Make sure you are doing the course in a country which has an agreement with Australia.
  • Contact that country’s flag State administration to obtain information regarding the location of an approved course provider.
  • On completion of the course, obtain a course completion certificate.
  • You must obtain a letter from the overseas course provider that states the course is approved by the administration of that country and you have attended the course.

We recognise these courses from countries with which we hold an agreement, if the applicant meets the above requirements:


Certificate type

STCW short courses

(approved by an administration with which we have an agreement)

Certificate of proficiency as rating

  1. Fire prevention & fire fighting (STCW section A-VI/1, paragraph and
  2. Certificate of proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (STCW section A-VI/2 paragraphs 1 to 4)

Certificates of proficiency in fast rescue boats

Fast rescue boats (STCW section A-VI/2 paragraphs 7 to 10)

Security awareness training endorsement

Security awareness training (STCW section A-VI/6 paragraph 4)

Last updated: 

Thursday 13 February 2020