Contracted search and rescue aircraft and equipment
Providing 24/7 search and rescue (SAR) service for Australia.
We provide search and rescue (SAR) for incidents which occur within the Australian SAR region. We currently have contracts in place to ensure there are aircraft available for SAR 24/7. This is known as the dedicated airborne SAR capability. It allows us to task aviation assets to SAR incidents in a timely manner within the Australian SAR region.
A contract was signed in October 2014 with Cobham SAR Services Pty Ltd to provide the next generation aircraft dedicated to search and rescue from late 2016, for a period of 12 years.
In addition to the dedicated SAR aircraft, we maintain a database of fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft available for SAR.
The aircraft are arranged by their capability into tiers, and form part of a comprehensive capability mix that combines to form an effective SAR service:
Dedicated fixed wing aircraft and crews capable of:
- electronic and visual search
- deployment of emergency supplies
- command and control
- homing in on distress beacons.
Rotary Wing Rescue
- Rescue capable and winch-equipped helicopters and crew for rescue, homing to distress beacons, visual search, and limited supply dropping
Rotary Wing Search
- Helicopters and crew for homing to distress beacons and visual search.
Fixed Wing Search
- Fixed wing aircraft and crew for homing to distress beacons, visual search and communications relay.