Domestic commercial vessel requirements

There are a number of certificates and permits you need if you are operating a domestic commercial vessel.

If you own a vessel in Australia and use it for any commercial, government or research activity, you need to apply for (or already be issued with) either a:

  • certificate of survey
  • non-survey vessel permit (or be eligible to operate as a non-survey vessel without a permit)
  • class C restricted operations permit
  • another vessel permit or exemption.

You will also need either a:

  • certificate of operation
  • certificate of operation exemption and a safety management system.

You must also get and display a unique identifier on your vessel, and comply with the general safety duties relating to domestic commercial vessels, in accordance with the Marine Safety (Domestic commercial vessel) National Law Act 2012.

Related information

Last updated: 2 March 2018
Last reviewed: 2 March 2018