Exemption 3—Marine Safety (Certificates of operation)
Eligible vessels are detailed in Schedule 1. If your vessel is one of the following, it may be eligible:
- tenders (including auxiliaries)
- Class 2 or 3 vessels that
- are less than 7.5m long,
- operate in sheltered waters only, and
- do not carry passengers
- human powered vessels
- sailing vessels
- personal watercraft
- dragon boats
- bait gathering vessels
Please refer to the exemption to determine if your vessel meets the criteria in Schedule 1. All domestic commercial vessels are required to have a certificate of operation unless exempt.
What this exemption will allow you to do
You will not need to apply for approval for this exemption as long as you comply with the conditions mentioned in Schedule 1.
Exemption 03 exempts certain kinds of vessels and vessel operations from the requirement to have a certificate of operation, provided vessels comply with the conditions set out in Schedule 1 of this exemption.
However, a vessel does not need to comply with the conditions set out in Schedule 1 if:
- we have given written approval for a vessel to operate in a way that does not comply with the condition
- the specified period of time is no more than 90 days
- further conditions on the approval are complied with.
If you don’t wish to comply with the conditions in Schedule 1, you can apply to us for approval using the Miscellaneous form 758.
Conditions attached to a certificate of operation
Certain kinds of vessels that are required to have a certificate of operation may be exempt from the conditions on the certificate, provided the vessel complies with the conditions attached to each exemption set out in Schedule 2 of this exemption.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Marine Order 504 (Certificates of operation and operation requirements – national law)
- National Standard for Commercial Vessels
- Exemption 04—Marine safety (Recreational use) exemption
- Exemption 07—Marine safety (Temporary operations) exemption
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels
- Certificates of operation
- Miscellaneous form (AMSA 758)
- Application for a certificate of operation (AMSA 504)
- Fees, levies, and payments