Exemption 39—Marine Safety (Lifejacket lights)
This exemption relates to the kinds of lifejackets that must be carried on board a Class 1C domestic commercial vessel.
You do not need to apply to us for this exemption.
What this exemption will allow you to do
Exemption 39 exempts a passenger vessel in service category 1C from the requirement for passenger lifejackets to have a light that complies with the requirement in the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part C7A – Safety equipment.
However, compliant lights must be fixed to lifejackets for the master and crew.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Marine Order 503 (Certificates of survey—national law)
- Exemption 02 – Certificates of survey
- National Standard for Commercial Vessels
- Marine Order 25 (equipment—lifesaving)
- Vessel classes and service categories
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels
- Exemption 39 – In force 1 July 2018 (PDF 106.41 KB)
- Exemption 39 - In force 19 January 2015 (PDF 68.88 KB)
27 February 2023