New certificate

New certificate

What do I need to do?

To obtain this certificate you will need to:

Meet medical and eyesight requirements

Download the:

1. Certificate of medical fitness for a near coastal certificate

The Certificate of medical fitness for domestic seafarers form 1850 lets us know that you are medically fit for working at sea.

If you are colour blind, you will be restricted to working in daylight hours only.

2. Standards for the medical assessment of domestic seafarers

Provide a medical practitioner with the Standards for the medical assessment of domestic seafarers and have them fill out the Certificate of medical fitness for domestic seafarers form 1850. 
If you have a current AMSA medical (Certificate of medical fitness form 303) you can use this instead.

You must submit your completed medical form with your Certificate of competency application form 426.

Provide evidence of sea service

You need to show you have experience working at sea in a deck, or a deck and engineering capacity, on vessels at least five metres long. You must have completed either: 

  • 30 days on commercial vessels with a completed AMSA task book 
  • 150 days on commercial or recreational vessels without an AMSA task book. 

If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.  


You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service: 

Read more about qualifying sea service

If you want a task book

You can get a Coxswain Grade 1 task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form

Read more about task books

Complete a training course

Complete a Coxswain grade 1 course at a registered training organisation.

You will need to submit your course completion certificate or your interim certificate of competency with your Certificate of competency application form 426.

Meet additional requirements

You must also hold a:

  • valid HLTAID011 Provide first aid certificate, or equivalent.
  • Short range operator certificate of proficiency, or equivalent.

If you do not hold these certificates, contact a registered training organisation.

Pass a final assessment at a registered training organisation

Before being issued your certificate of competency you will need to complete an AMSA mandated practical assessment (AMPA). This must be conducted by a registered training organisation approved by us as a final assessor. 

Refer to the syllabus document PDF960.21 KB to find out what may be included in your final assessment. 

After passing the final assessment the registered training organisation may give you an interim certificate of competency that will allow you to start working immediately. To be eligible for the interim certificate of competency you must have completed your Certificate of competency application form 426 including signing the declaration. 

Complete and submit a certificate of competency application

To apply, complete and submit the Certificate of competency application form 426.  
Read more about completing and submitting your application for a domestic certificate