Application for a certificate of operation
You can use this form to:
- apply for a certificate of operation
- renew an existing certificate of operation where you are not making any changes to the existing certificate
- add a new vessel of a different class or operation type to your existing certificate of operation.
If you work on a domestic commercial vessel and need to renew your certificate of competency please go to our information about qualifications.
Each vessel related to the certificate must:
- have a unique vessel identifier
- comply with the operational requirements specified in Marine Order 504 (Certificates of operation and operation requirements — national law).
Some operations are exempt from the requirement to have a certificate of operation.
If you don't already have a unique vessel identifier, one will be issued as part of the vessel permission application process. When asked for the unique vessel identifier in this application form please enter TBC and note the application reference number for your vessel permission or unique vessel identifier.
How to complete this form
You can complete and submit the form online.
Please attach a separate document if you need to provide additional information.
If you are applying as an organisation, please provide documentation confirming your Australia Business Number (ABN) and/or Australian Company Number (ACN) and business name—for example Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract or trust deed.
Submitting the form
The easiest way to submit the form is online through the link below.
- Check the fees you will need to pay.
- Special arrangements in Exemptions 7 and 8 for renewing certificates
Recent changes mean you may now be exempt from having a certificate of operation. Please check Exemption 03 Marine Safety (Certificates of operation) before applying to renew your certificate.
If you are unsure if you are eligible for this exemption, please contact AMSA Connect.