Online application forms for domestic commercial vessel permissions will not be available for the period 7 pm 23 July 2021 to 7 pm 24 July 2021 inclusive for planned maintenance.
Application for non-survey vessel
Your vessel must be eligible under one of the six divisions of Exemption 02.
Some non-survey vessels that do not require approval document
You do not need an application or approval document to operate under Exemption 02 if the vessel is one of the following:
- a sailing vessel less than 7.5 metre (with no auxiliary engine or an auxiliary engine less than 3.5kw)
- a human-powered vessel, for example a canoe or kayak
- a personal watercraft
- an ‘existing vessel’ (as defined in division 5 of the exemption) that was not required to have a survey certificate on 30 June 2013.
However, you have the option to apply (and pay the fee) if you would like to be issued with an approval document.
If you intend to apply as an ‘existing vessel’ (under division 5) you will need to be able to supply supporting documentation that shows that the vessel meets the ‘existing vessel’ criteria.
How to complete this form
You can use the link below to either:
- complete and submit online or
- partially complete the form. You will be given the option to print and complete the form offline and post the form to AMSA.
To complete this form, you will need to supply information about the vessel, including:
- design speed, kW power of engine(s), load capacity, max power rating etc
- a photograph of the vessel
- a stability and loading recommendation from an accredited marine surveyor, where the vessel has a net reel, lifting device, deck load or crane.
You can attach documentation if you need to provide supporting information.
Applying as a trust, organisation or partnership
If you are making an application in the name of a trust, please supply a copy of the trust deed in the supporting documents section of the application. We require the deed to confirm the full and correct name of the legal entity that is making the application. If a copy of the trust deed is not submitted at the time of making the application, it may result in delays processing your application.
If you are applying as an organisation, or registered partnership, make sure you provide the correct ABN and/or ACN that matches the name recorded with Australia Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) and/or the Australian Business Register.
Submitting the form
You can submit the form online—this is our prefered method—or mail it to:
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181
Canberra ACT 2601
Mailing your application will result in processing delays.
Check the fees you will need to pay.