General purpose hand near coastal
This domestic qualification lets you work as a deck and/or engine room hand on a vessel.
General purpose hand near coastal (NC) is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
What will this certificate allow me to do?
The General purpose hand NC will allow you to work:
- Under direct supervision of the person in charge of a vessel or its engines.
- On deck or in the engine room of a vessel up to 80 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
- In the engine room only of vessels with propulsion power up to 3000 kilowatts.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for a General purpose hand NC certificate you must be at least 16 years of age by the certificate issue date.
You must also meet medical and course requirements. The requirements depend on whether you are getting a certificate for the first time or renewing an existing certificate.
Each of requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in these instructions.
Contact your state or territory marine safety agency if you need to:
- replace your certificate
- apply for equivalence
- remove a restriction on your certificate
- change your personal details on your certificate.
Find your local marine safety agency.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D, Crew Competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.