General Purpose Hand near coastal
This certificate of competency lets you work as a deck and/or engine room hand on a vessel.
The General Purpose Hand near coastal will allow you to:
- assist with deck or engine work on vessels up to 100m long or 3000 GT, in the Australian exclusive economic zone, under general supervision of the master, chief engineer or delegated crew member.
To be eligible for a General Purpose Hand near coastal certificate you must:
- be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date
- be able to speak and understand English, including written documents
- Be medically fit for the duties, including eyesight
- Complete training
- Gain any needed sea service
For more information select what you need to apply for below.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2022. This document has full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.
Renewal of Certificate
Monday 16 January 2023