Revalidation of STCW Engineer certificates of competency

Get your Engineer certificate of competency revalidated before it expires.

If you hold a STCW Engineer certificate of competency you should apply to us to revalidate your certificate before it expires, if it has not been suspended or revoked. The revalidation process may differ and is dependent on whether you have enough sea service or not. 

You must complete a sea service and course component to revalidate your certificate as well as have a valid certificate of medical fitness. Read more about how to revalidate your Engineer certificate of competency and how to apply with form AMSA419

Continued competence courses

Australia is a party to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW). Under this convention, we comply with the standards required in STCW A-I/11. These standards require all seafarers to demonstrate continued competence refresher training in sea survival and fire fighting at the appropriate level. This requirement also includes the Fast rescue boat endorsement.

Completion of these courses is commonly known as a demonstration of continued competence.

Medical course component

Under the standards in the STCW, there is no requirement for revalidation of elementary first aid, medical first aid, and medical care certificates. However Maritime Labour Convention 2006, Regulation 4.1, Guideline B4.1 Medical care on board ship and ashore states:

3. Persons referred to in paragraph 1 of this guideline and any such other seafarers as may be required by the competent authority should undergo, at approximately five-year intervals, refresher courses to enable them to maintain and increase their knowledge and skills and to keep up-to-date with new developments.

In view of this guideline, employers should determine whether it is necessary for their seafarers to maintain currency of their course-associated medical certificate.

Revalidating from overseas

If you hold an Engineer certificate of competency and live overseas, STCW short course(s), including continued competence refresher training, completed overseas in eligible countries may be recognised by AMSA for the purpose of revalidation if you satisfy the requirements below.

You will also need to prove sea service to revalidate your certificate (i.e. at least 12 months in 5 years or at least 3 months in the previous 6 months prior to application). Sea service letters are required for this and are only accepted if issued by your employer and written on company letterhead paper. Letters issued by the ship’s Master or Chief Engineer will not be accepted.

You must also have a valid Certificate of medical fitness.


You will need to meet a number of requirements before we can accept STCW short courses you have completed overseas in eligible countries for revalidation:

  • Be a resident overseas — permanently living in a country other than Australia.
  • Contact that country’s flag State administration to obtain information regarding the location of an approved course provider IN that country.
  • Make sure you are completing the course IN the country which has an agreement with Australia.
  • On completion of the course, obtain a course completion certificate which contains your name, the title of the course, STCW Regulation number, issue date and name and contact details of the overseas course provider.
  • You must obtain a letter from the overseas course provider that states the course is approved by the administration of that country and you have attended the course.

(Example: If you completed a STCW short course in India, which has an agreement with Australia, and at an Indian maritime training organisation that was approved by the Indian Directorate General of Shipping, AMSA will recognise the course.)

If you meet the above requirements, for revalidation purposes we recognise the courses below from eligible countries with which we hold an agreement:

Certificate or endorsement type

STCW short courses

(approved by an administration with which we have an agreement)

Certificate of competency – Engineer officers
  • Certificate of proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (STCW Code section A-VI/2 paragraphs 1 to 4) and
  • Advanced fire fighting (STCW Code section A-VI/3)
Certificates of proficiency in fast rescue boatsFast rescue boats (STCW Code section A-VI/2 paragraphs 7 to 10)
Advanced training for oil tanker endorsementAdvanced training for oil tankers (STCW code section A-V/1-1 paragraph 2)
Advanced training for chemical tanker endorsementAdvanced training for chemical tankers (STCW code section A-V/1-1 paragraph 3)
Advanced training for gas tanker endorsementAdvanced training for gas tankers (STCW code section A-V/1-2 paragraph 2)
Basic training for IGF code endorsementBasic training for IGF code (STCW Code section A-V/3 paragraph 1)
Advanced training for IGF code endorsementAdvanced training for IGF code (STCW code section A-V/3 paragraph 2)

Recognition of an equivalent function

We do recognise some equivalent functions if you work in the below occupations within Australia:

  • Technical, engineering, and marine superintendents
  • Surveyors (i.e. inspectors) appointed under the Navigation Act 2012 (the Act) or working for a recognised organisation as defined by the Act
  • Lecturers in AMSA approved Registered training organisations.

To be assessed for the above you will need proof of at least 2.5 years’ service in the 5 years immediately preceding application. This service must have been completed in the type of positions identified above from a non-seagoing sector of the maritime industry. We will require a statement from your employer, written on company letterhead paper which demonstrates that you have maintained your professional competence and you will be capable of exercising the full capacity, function levels and limitations applying to your certificate. When preparing the statement, reference should be made to the criteria outlining the revalidation course for Engineer officers. You can find this criteria in the syllabus document

In our assessment of the submission for full revalidation, we will consider whether a full or partial revalidation training course is required and is dependent on your employment history.

Depending on your employment history you may be required to complete the full STCW short courses of Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats, Advanced fire fighting, Medical first aid at sea and Security awareness training (if not already completed).

If you hold an Engineers certificate of competency we will accept a combination of either Part A (e.g. medical training, legislation, stability and cargo work etc.) or Part C (e.g. Fuels & engine types, current technology, permits to work, refrigerant handling, high voltage and change of regulation, etc.) revalidation courses (Revalidation courses must be completed in Australia at an AMSA approved college) and a written statement on company letterhead paper from your employer covering the other competencies required for the Engineer officers revalidation course.

All revalidation course completions, where applicable, must be completed within 5 years of application.

Find an approved training organisation.

Engineer certificates issued prior to 1 April 2014

To revalidate your expired STCW Engineer certificate of competency issued prior to 1 April 2014 you must complete the following revalidation requirements:

  1. ALL REVALIDATIONS - The full STCW short courses of Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats, Advanced fire fighting, Medical first aid at sea and Security awareness training, and
  2. (Option 1) Completion of an AMSA approved revalidation course within 5 years of application.


  1. (Option 2) Pass a full oral examination within 5 years of application relevant to the grade and sub-grade of certificate conducted by an AMSA examiner, and
  2. (Option 1) The gap training between the course you completed and the competencies mandated by STCW 2010 Code.


  1. (Option 2) Provide evidence of ongoing approved professional development (e.g. completion of a higher-grade certificate course) covering at least the revalidation components, gap training and STCW short courses specified above.

Revalidation of steam or motor Engineer certificate of competency

To revalidate Engineer steamship or motorship certificates, you can use service on vessels with either steam or motor main propulsion machinery. The propulsion power of the vessel is not relevant.

Revalidation of more than one Engineer certificate of competency

If you hold two certificates of differing grade and sub-grade, you can present both certificates for revalidation at the same time. Each certificate will attract a revalidation fee.

If you hold two certificates of the same grade and differing sub-grade, you can present both certificates for revalidation at the same time and we will issue you with a single combined certificate. If we issue you with a combined certificate, you will only need to pay one revalidation fee.

Acceptance of sea service completed on different vessels

Tugs and Sydney Harbour ferries

Service on tugs and Sydney Harbour ferries of at least 750 kilowatts propulsion power is acceptable for the revalidation of all grades and sub-grades of Engineer certificates.

Other vessels

Based on the qualifying sea service requirements as defined in Schedule 4 of Marine Order 72 (Engineer officers) 2014, the service on the following vessels with auxiliary machinery or propulsion power of at least 750 kilowatts is acceptable for revalidation purposes:

  • commercial yachts
  • domestic commercial vessels
  • FPSOs and OSIMUs
  • high speed craft and similar 
  • vessels for delivery voyages
  • time spent on vessel for sea trials
  • bunker barges or similar.
Last updated: 4 June 2021