Report a marine safety concern
Anyone can report a marine safety concern to us.
This includes any event that endangers, or if not corrected could endanger, the safety of vessels or persons.
- the vessel having unsafe handling characteristics
- unsafe navigation
- deviation from established collision‑avoidance procedures
- inadequate passage planning
- unsafe bridge procedures
- crew schedules that result in fatigue
- bypassing of safety procedures because of operational or commercial pressures
- unsafe cargo stowage
- substandard condition of the hull or other plating
- substandard condition of hatches, water‑tight doors or openings
- substandard condition of machinery or steering systems
- substandard condition of cargo handling equipment
- inadequate navigational equipment, charts or publications
- inadequately marked obstructions to safe navigation
- lack of traffic or weather information
- a modification of the ship’s equipment or fittings that has not been approved by the appropriate authority
- unsafe engine control room procedures
- unsafe engineering operational procedures or practices
- unsafe engineering maintenance procedures or practices
- unsafe pilot access (for example, pilot ladders).
Follow these steps to report a safety concern.
1. Complete a form
You can make this report by downloading and completing the Report of suspected marine safety concerns form 355.
2. Send the form to us
Send the completed form to us by email to email@example.com.