Coxswain grade 2 near coastal
This certificate will allow you to:
- Command and operate the engines of a vessel less than 12 metres long with unlimited outboard engine propulsion, or inboard engines less than 100 kilowatts.
- In sheltered waters or within 5 nautical miles from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
- As a tender or auxiliary vessel operating within 3 nautical miles of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone.
If you have a Coxswain grade 2 near coastal certificate, you are not allowed to operate a vessel carrying passengers unless you are endorsed to do so.
To be eligible for a Coxswain grade 2 near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date.
- Meet medical, eyesight, sea service and course requirements.
For more information, select what you need to apply for below.
Coxswain grade 2 near coastal is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D—Crew competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.