Coxswain grade 2 near coastal
This certificate will allow you to:
- Command and operate the engines of a vessel less than 12 metres long with unlimited outboard engine propulsion, or inboard engines less than 100 kilowatts.
- In sheltered waters or within 5 nautical miles from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
- As a tender or auxiliary vessel operating within 3 nautical miles of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone.
- Undertake the duties and perform the functions of a Coxswain Grade 3 NC.
To be eligible for a Coxswain grade 2 near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date.
- Be able to speak and understand English, including written documents.
- Be medically fit for the duties, including eyesight
- Gain any needed sea service
- Complete training
For more information, select what you need to apply for below.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2022. This document has full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.