Engineer class 3 near coastal
This domestic qualification lets you carry out the duties of chief engineer.
Engineer class 3 near coastal is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
What will this certificate allow me to do?
The Engineer class 3 near coastal will allow you to work:
- as chief engineer on vessels with inboard engines with propulsion power up to 3000 kilowatts within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- as chief engineer or second engineer on vessels with outboard engines with unlimited propulsion within the EEZ
- as an assistant under the direct supervision of the chief engineer
- in the engine room of a vessel up to 80 metres long with propulsion power up to 3000 kilowatts.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for an Engineer class 3 near coastal certificate you must:
- be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date
- hold a Marine engine driver grade 1 near coastal, Engineer watchkeeper or workshop skill equivalent qualification
- meet medical, eyesight, sea service and course requirements.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D—Crew competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.