Engineer class 3 near coastal

This domestic qualification lets you carry out the duties of chief engineer.

Engineer class 3 near coastal (NC) is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.

What will this certificate allow me to do?

The Engineer class 3 NC will allow you to work:

  • As chief engineer on vessels with inboard engines up to 3000 kilowatts within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
  • As chief engineer or second engineer on vessels with outboard engines with unlimited propulsion within the EEZ.
  • As an assistant under the direct supervision of the chief engineer.
  • In the engine room of a vessel up to 80 metres long with propulsion power up to 3000 kilowatts.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for an Engineer class 3 NC certificate you must be at least 16 years of age by the certificate issue date.

You must hold a Marine engine driver grade 1 NC, engineer watchkeeper or workshop skill equivalent qualification.

You must also meet medical, sea service and course requirements. The requirements depend on whether you are getting a certificate for the first time or renewing an existing certificate.

Each requirement and how to prove that you meet them is explained in these instructions.

Contact your state or territory marine safety agency if you need to:

  • replace your certificate
  • apply for equivalence
  • remove a restriction on your certificate
  • change your personal details on your certificate.

Find your local marine safety agency.

Important disclaimer

These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D, Crew Competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.

What type of qualification do you need?

New certificate

What do I need to do?

To obtain this certificate you will need to:

Renew certificate

An Engineer Class 3 NC certificate of competency expires 5 years after it is issued or renewed.

What do I need to do?

To renew this certificate you will need to: