AMSA is a statutory authority established under the AMSA Act. Reflecting the purpose of the AMSA Act, and the functions of AMSA under the Act, our primary role is to:
- promote maritime safety and protection of the marine environment
- prevent and combat ship-sourced pollution in the marine environment
- provide infrastructure to support safe navigation in Australian waters
- provide a national search and rescue service to the maritime and aviation sectors
- provide, on request, services to the maritime industry on a commercial basis.