AMSA's forms and online payment system will be undergoing maintenance on Saturday 23 September from 9 am to 6 pm. Forms that require payment will be unavailable during this time.
The National Search and Rescue Manual is the standard reference document for use by all search and rescue authorities and other organisations that provide search and rescue services in Australia.
It outlines the agreed methods of coordination through which search and rescue operations are conducted within Australia.
The manual is consistent with the relevant International Conventions to which Australia is party.
Available online only, this is the latest edition.
Available by section
The date of the most recent amendment is shown.
Preliminaries (PDF 700.45 KB) updated February 2023
- Front cover
- National Library Registration
- Defence letter of promulgation
- Table of content
- Acronyms and abbreviations
Volume 1—Search and rescue administration (PDF 613.76 KB) updated February 2023
- Chapter 1—Search and rescue system organisation
- Chapter 2—Search and rescue management
- Chapter 3—Training and exercises
Volume 2—Search and rescue operations (PDF 12.83 MB) updated February 2023
- Chapter 1—Communications
- Chapter 2—Awareness and initial action
- Chapter 3—Search planning and evaluation
- Chapter 4—Search and rescue techniques
- Chapter 5—Rescue planning operations
- Chapter 6—Conclusion of search and rescue operations
- Chapter 7—Medical factors
Appendices (PDF 5.49 MB) updated February 2023
- Appendix A—Inter-governmental agreement (IGA) on national search and rescue arrangements
- Appendix B—National search and rescue responsibilities and functions
- Appendix C—National operational procedure for transfer of coordination for land SAR incidents
- Appendix D—1-10
- Appendix E—1-17
The NATSAR Manual is reviewed and updated through an annual amendments program. Amendments can be proposed throughout the year, which are then reviewed and approved by the NATSAR Council at the annual meeting. All approved amendments can be viewed in the amendment history below.
- October 2022 amendments (PDF 788.24 KB)
- October 2021 amendments (PDF 2.29 MB) (PDF 1.3 MB)
- February 2021 amendments (PDF 875 KB) (PDF 874.37 KB)
- February 2020 amendments (PDF 2.6 MB) (PDF 2.01 MB)
- January 2019 amendments (PDF 945 KB) (PDF 944.82 KB)
- January 2019 amendments (PDF 648 KB) (PDF 647.1 KB)
- September 2018 amendments (PDF 840 KB) (PDF 272.59 KB)
- February 2018 amendments (PDF 486 KB) (PDF 485.42 KB)