Coxswain grade 1 near coastal
The Coxswain grade 1 near coastal will allow you to command, and operate the engines of, a vessel less than 12 metres long with unlimited outboard engine propulsion, or inboard engines less than 500 kilowatts:
- In inshore waters (refer to National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part B—General requirements) or designated waters (under state or territory waterway management legislation).
- As a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone.
You can also undertake the duties and perform the functions of a General Purpose Hand NC, Coxswain Grade 3 NC and Coxswain Grade 2 NC.
To be eligible for a Coxswain grade 1 near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age on the certificate issue date.
- Be able to speak and understand English, including written documents.
- Be medically fit for the duties, including eyesight
- Gain any needed sea service
- Complete training
For more information, select what you need to apply for below
Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2022
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2022. This document has full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.