Lifejacket maintenance and storage
So that your lifejacket works when you need it, it’s important to maintain your lifejacket according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions
To ensure lifejackets are in working order, you should follow the manufacturer’s instructions about maintenance. This is particularly important for inflatable lifejackets.
Use these instructions, and any other government or industry requirements, to develop a maintenance schedule for your lifejackets, along with all your other safety equipment.
Never skip your maintenance
Never take short-cuts on servicing or skip your lifejacket maintenance checks. Keep proper records of what maintenance has been done. This allows you to track when they are next due for servicing or self-checks and helps to ensure your safety.
Follow these tips for the storage of your lifejacket:
- ensure your life jacket is dry before storing it
- clean off any salt before storage
- store it in a dry place, out of sunlight and away from heat
- visually check your lifejacket after use and before storing again
- make sure that the place you store your lifejacket can be easily accessed at all times. If you have assessed that it’s not necessary to wear a lifejacket in a given situation, ensure your lifejacket can easily be reached in an emergency.
Thursday 24 November 2022