Exemption 24—Marine Safety (Emergency services vessels)
This exemption is for volunteer marine rescue, fire services and emergency services organisations that are operating emergency service vessels and do not want to comply with certain survey, crewing and qualification requirements.
Volunteer marine rescue and fire service organisations do not need to apply for approval to operate under Exemption 24. However, emergency services authorities must apply if they wish to operate an emergency service vessel using crew who do not have the required certificate of competency. Emergency services authorities can apply for Exemption 24, by completing and submitting an Exemption application for emergency service vessels form 792.
What this exemption will allow you to do
Exemption 24 exempts emergency services vessels from certain survey, crewing and certificate of competency requirements.
The exemption is for vessels, and people who work on vessels, operated by:
- volunteer marine rescue organisations
- fire service organisations
- emergency services authorities (for example state or territory emergency Services or police)
Exemption 24 provides for different arrangements for each of these categories.
Read more about Exemption 24.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Marine Order 503 (Certificates of survey—national law)
- Marine Order 504 (Certificates of operation and operation requirements—national law)
- Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency—national law)
- Marine surveyors manual parts 1 and 2
- National Standard for Commercial Vessels
- Arrangements for emergency services (Exemption 24, including ‘Scheme R’)
- Certificates of survey
- Certificates of operation
- Domestic qualifications
- Exemption application for emergency service vessels form 792
- Fees, levies, and payments
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels
- Exemption 24 – In force 1 July 2018 (PDF 341.34 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 1 January 2018 (PDF 299.61 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 1 July 2016 (PDF 291.04 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 30 March 2016 (PDF 141.15 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 24 December 2015 (PDF 139.44 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 16 May 2014 (PDF 739.62 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 1 July 2013 (10 December 2013 compilation) (PDF 27.87 KB)
- Exemption 24 - In force 1 July 2013 (PDF 137.95 KB)
27 February 2023