Master less than 24 metres near coastal
With this certificate you can command a commercial vessel less than 24 metres long.
This certificate will allow you to work as:
- Master on commercial vessels up to 24 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 35 metres long within the EEZ
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 80 metres long in inshore waters.
To be eligible for a Master less than 24 metres near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date.
- Meet medical, eyesight, sea service and course requirements.
Master less than 24 metres near coastal is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D—Crew Competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.