Master less than 24 metres near coastal
This certificate will allow you to work as:
- Master on commercial vessels up to 24 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 45 metres long within the EEZ
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 100 metres long in inshore waters.
- Undertake the duties and perform the functions of a General Purpose Hand NC and Master (Inland waters) NC.
To be eligible for a Master less than 24 metres near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date
- Be able to speak and understand English, including written documents
- Be medically fit for the duties, including eyesight
- Gain any needed sea service
- Complete training.
For more information, select what you need to apply for below.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2022.This document has full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.