Master less than 24 metres near coastal
This domestic qualification lets you command a commercial vessel less than 24 metres long.
Master less than 24 metres near coastal (NC) is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
What will this certificate allow me to do?
The Master less than 24 metres NC will allow you to act as a:
- Master on commercial vessels less than 24 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels less than 35 metres long within the EEZ.
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels less than 80 metres long in inshore waters.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for a Master less than 24 metres NC certificate you must be at least 16 years of age by the certificate issue date.
You must also meet medical, sea service and course requirements. The requirements depend on whether you are getting a certificate for the first time or renewing an existing certificate.
Each requirement and how to prove that you meet them is explained in these instructions.
Contact your state or territory marine safety agency if you need to:
- replace your certificate
- apply for equivalence
- remove a restriction on your certificate
- change your personal details on your certificate.
Find your local marine safety agency.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D, Crew Competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.
You may apply for the following endorsement to your certificate:
Endorsement to command a domestic commercial vessel less than 80 metres long operating in inland waters
To be eligible for this endorsement you must complete:
- Part 3 of the Master (inland waters) task book.
- At least 7 days sea service under supervision on a domestic commercial vessel greater than or equal to 24 metres long operating in inland waters while holding a Master less than 24 meters NC.
You must attach a copy of the seafarer details page from Part 3 of the Master (inland waters) task book to your application.
An endorsement lasts for the duration of the certificate it is attached to.
If you would like to find out more about endorsements, refer to the National Regulator Endorsements Approval 2014.
To apply for an endorsement contact your local marine safety agency.
Qualifying sea service
Use a Record of sea service form to track and submit your qualifying sea service.
Read more about qualifying sea service.
Get a task book
For these endorsements you can order and complete a Master less than 24 metres near coastal task book. Use the AMSA chargeable publications order form to purchase your task book.
Read more about task books.