Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal
This certificate will allow you to work as:
- Chief engineer on vessels with inboard engines with propulsion power up to 500 kilowatts within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Second engineer on vessels with inboard engines with propulsion power up to 750 kilowatts within the EEZ
- Chief or second engineer on vessels with outboard engines within the EEZ
- An assistant under the direct supervision of the chief engineer
- In the engine room of a vessel up to 80 metres long with propulsion power up to 3000 kilowatts.
To be eligible for a Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age on the certificate issue date.
- Meet medical, eyesight, sea service and course requirements.
For more information, select what you need to apply for below.
Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D—Crew competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.