Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal
Work as an engineer or chief engineer on vessel in waters to the outer limits of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
This certificate will allow you to work as:
- Chief engineer on vessels with inboard engines with propulsion power up to 500 kilowatts within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Second engineer on vessels with inboard engines with propulsion power up to 750 kilowatts within the EEZ
- Chief or second engineer on vessels with outboard engines within the EEZ
- An assistant under the direct supervision of the chief engineer
- In the engine room of a vessel up to 80 metres long with propulsion power up to 3000 kilowatts.
To be eligible for a Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age on the certificate issue date.
- Meet medical, eyesight, sea service and course requirements.
For more information, select what you need to apply for below.
Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D—Crew competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.