Master less than 45 metres near coastal
This certificate will allow you to work as:
- Master on commercial vessels up to 45 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
- Master on vessels up to 100 metres long in inshore waters.
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 100 metres long within the EEZ.
- Undertake the duties and perform the functions of a General Purpose Hand NC
To be eligible for a Master less than 45 metres near coastal certificate you must:
- Be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date.
- Be able to speak and understand English, including written documents
- Hold either a Master less than 24 metres near coastal or Mate less than 80 metres near coastal certificate of competency, or a certificate AMSA considers equivalent.
- Be medically fit for the duties, including eyesight
- Gain any needed sea service
- Complete training
- Pass a final assessment.
For more information, select what you need to apply for below.
- Master less than 35/45 metres near coastal syllabus AMSA 1109 (PDF 532.13 KB)
- Oral exam syllabus
- Conduct of oral examinations AMSA 479
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2022. This document has full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.